Etymology & Historical Origin of the Baby Name Viviana

Viviana is the Italian and Spanish female form of Vivian, original a boy’s name via an Old French form of the Late Latin Vivianus which comes from “vivus” meaning ‘alive.’ St. Vivian was an important 5th century French bishop who protected and provided relief to his countrymen during the Visigoth invasions. Vivian/Vivienne was popularized in France during the Middle Ages when names were taken from saints and important Biblical figures as a protective measure for children. However, today, the name is more commonly female, and Viviana is the Latinate form used by the Italians and Spanish.

All About the Baby Name – Viviana

Personality

OF THE GIRL NAME VIVIANA

Romance is the hallmark of the Six personality. They exude nurturing, loving, and caring energy. Sixes are in love with the idea of love in its idealized form - and with their magnetic personalities, they easily draw people toward them. Like the number Two personality, they seek balance and harmony in their life and the world at large. They are conscientious and service-oriented, and a champion for the underdog. These personalities naturally attract money and are usually surrounded by lovely material objects - but their human relationships are always primary. They thrive in giving back to others rather than being motivated by their own desires. This is when they achieve great things. Sixes are natural teachers, ministers and counselors.

Popularity

OF THE GIRL NAME VIVIANA

The name Viviana first appeared on the American female naming charts in 1979, and most likely put there by Spanish-speaking Americans. The name’s popularity would grow quietly in the ensuring 20+ years until reaching her height of popularity right at the turn of the 21st century. In the past ten or so years, however, Viviana has shown signs of weakening or waning popularity. This is most likely due to the growth of second and third generation Latin-Americans who are beginning to embrace more Americanized or anglicized forms of names rather than those from their ancestral language. Currently, Vivian is the most commonly used form of this name (about 60% of the girls with some form of this name born annually are called Vivian). The other 40% is split pretty evenly between the French Vivienne and the Italian/Spanish Viviana. There are also several of these “-ana” suffix names on the charts for girls in America: Liliana, Ariana, Adriana, Juliana, Eliana, Luciana, etc. All of these names, like Viviana, are four syllables and ultra feminine and flowery. The name Viviana seems to come “alive” with vibrant energy. An all around lovely choice.

Quick Facts

ON VIVIANA

GENDER:

Girl

ORIGIN:

Italian

NUMBER OF SYLLABLES:

4

RANKING POPULARITY:

445

PRONUNCIATION:

vee-vee-AH-nah

SIMPLE MEANING:

Alive, vibrant

Characteristics

OF VIVIANA

Humanitarian

Community-minded

Family-oriented

Loving

Affectionate

Compassionate

Sensitive

Cultural References to the Baby Name – Viviana

Literary Characters

OF THE BABY NAME VIVIANA

We cannot find any significant literary characters by the name of Viviana

Popular Songs

ON VIVIANA

We cannot find any popular or well-known songs with the name of Viviana


Famous People

NAMED VIVIANA

Viviana Ortiz (Puerto Rican beauty queen)
Viviana Durante (prima ballerina)
Viviana Guzmán (virtuoso flutist, artist)

Children of Famous People

NAMED VIVIANA

We cannot find any children of famous people with the first name Viviana

Historic Figures

WITH THE NAME VIVIANA

We cannot find any historically significant people with the first name Viviana